Saturday, April 25, 2020

Who'se a pretty boy then.

When I first set up my twitter account I had no intention of becoming a blogger. But, after years, of not wanting to engage in social media I now realise that blogging provides me with a wonderful opportunity to get things of my chest. I thought that if my offerings attracted half a dozen visits then it would be worthwhile. I would like to talk about a range of wildlife crime issues and I will. But at present the Raptor Persecution Scotland (RPS) blog is the gift that just keeps on giving!

Recently RPS decided devote the time needed to write a blog about me. I have been following the blog for several years but cannot recall any previous articles on those who have made contributions. Indeed I cannot recall the author or authors ever saying much about their own backgrounds and motivations. As I recall the site operated without any indication as to who might be behind it, for a significant period of time. So really, I feel rather honoured. I had heard that such a blog was being prepared and you may have seen my tweet offering to assist with any information that might be needed. I have to reveal that no such contact was made.

What an interesting choice of picture? Bear in mind my offer to assist them in preparation of their post. I would have been more than happy to provide a picture. I hope the one used is an awful picture. But maybe it is not as bad as I would like to think. Frankly I don't give a toss. I suppose one might question why it was felt necessary, in any case, to post my picture. Given that I have now retired from active wildlife crime work where does it get anybody? But, there we are, RPS, chose to use it. As I say it really does not bother me, my modelling aspirations dimmed a long time ago. I wonder whether, in choosing to use that particular picture, the thought that it might draw comment about my personal appearance, ever crossed the mind of those responsible for the post? I had a feeling that it might. Sure enough an early comment of such nature was deleted by the blog administrator. There may be those who feel that actually it was already "job done".  Perhaps having realised that the picture had the potential to draw abusive comment the blog administrator might have had second thoughts about using it and would have arranged for it to be removed. Nope when I checked earlier it was still there.

The RPS blog since it started has had over 5 million hits. That is really impressive, I wonder how many regular visitors there must be. Such a well supported site often draws a large number of comments to individual posts. So I wondered if I would now start to feel a huge weight of public opinion against me. Just had a look, 16 contributions in the first 24 hours. Hardly damming condemnation! It is worth while just delving a little more into those comments. Some of them are really genuinely interesting and useful. I would like, in particular, to respond to the point that as the NFU fund the police then why cannot Wild Justice. But that will have to wait for another time. There were  other comments made in a reasonable manner that but many of the remaining read, to me, as threats or the usual unevidenced stereotyping. But nothing from the blog administrator to identify and address such behaviour leading me to conclude that, in their view, such comment is quite acceptable.

All in all what this post does, in my opinion is paint a pretty damming picture of those responsible for it. A real meanness of spirit. I think that the police are going to look at this post and be asking some real questions as to whether they can be seen to be working in association with those who produce such material?  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment